POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0 : Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0
From: Eric Fausett
Date: 23 Jul 1998 07:48:03
Message: <35B71532.497C08E8@u-aizu.ac.jp>
I'm new to this news group, but I have scoured the postings for
information related to my problem, and haven't found a solution.

I was first having a problem with the compiler freezing in lighting.c.
I found the solution to this problem, and promptly got a service pack
for Visual Studio.

I am now facing a linking error however.  I receive this error message
upon linking:

PVTEXT.OBJ : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__CreateToolbarEx@52
bin/povray.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I am using the a workspace file for VC5.0 that came with the source
files.  I have noticed that this particular definition "CreateToolbarEx"
is defined in COMMCTRL.H, and that this references the comctl32.lib
library.  This library wasn't in the list of libraries to be included
for linking, so I added it.  Upon doing so I was able to create an
executable just fine, however I would get an error upon execution of
this binary stating:

Critical Error
Error: Could not create editor window.

I'm not sure exactly what I am doing wrong.  I am new to windows
programming, and the VC++ interface.  If I can complete this compile,
then I will start coding the interface for working with implicit surface
models in POVRay.  However before this can be done, I need to be able to
compile the bare bones version.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Fausett
Shape Modeling Lab
University of Aizu  JAPAN