POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrapping objects : Re: Wrapping objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrapping objects
From: Alain CULOS
Date: 23 Jul 1998 15:47:16
Message: <35B65C6A.E88F3E17@bigfoot.com>
Paolo Bormida wrote:

> How can we get, in POV,  an image map being mapped onto an object, as if the
> image is on a sheet of paper and we use the sheet to carefully (no wrinkles)
> wrap the object ?
>
> Sorry, I really have problems to figure out how image map works :-((

Sorry I had misunderstood your first question (probably I was reading too fast).

What you are asking is only possible with simple objects so far : plane, sphere,
cylindre.
What you probably want is what is sometimes referred to as (u, v) mapping - this
does not exist in POV 3.02, I do not know about POV 3.1. I know there are some
custom compiles of POV out there on the net that are able to do (u, v) mapping
with some objects (not all), this includes bezier patches and/or triangle
meshes, but I don't remember which do what (I never tried them).

The standard POV 3.02 (or previous) image map is pretty simple :
1-planar mapping (default) imagine you have your image printed on paper and
imagine again this piece of paper is repeated to infinity on top of itself. Then
carve (sculpt) your object into that block of paper : that is what you get with
a planar mapping technique.
2-spherical : your piece of paper has been wrapped onto a sphere (like you want,
but it will only work like you want on a sphere). Then imagine a series of
spheres wrapping each over with the same image wrapped around (but scaled so
that all spheres look the same in the distance : what is up stays up, what is at
45 degrees, stays at 45 degrees, ...). Your object whatever it is is then carved
into this block of spheres.
3-cylindrical : same except the image is wrapped around a cylinder rather than a
sphere.

I hope this helps,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.