POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Bug? difference of intersections isn't right. : Re: Bug? difference of intersections isn't right. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug? difference of intersections isn't right.
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 21 Jul 1998 22:03:31
Message: <35B54942.FBB11EE3@ltu.edu>
Ron Parker wrote:
 [clip]
> This works fine when the object isn't transparent, but it leads to
> unexpected interior surfaces for transparent objects.  To make the problem
> go away, one could replace CSG_Union_Methods with CSG_Merge_Methods, but
> since merges are more expensive than unions, it might be preferable to have
> a keyword that causes the merge methods to be used instead of the union
> methods when the scene requires it.

This bug was brought up in povray.newusers by Alain Culos and Saif Ansari
a few days ago (see the thread "CSG"). At that time I let the POV-team know
about the bug (and its fix).  I did not consider, however, that merge is
slower than union.  If the choice of union/merge for inverting a difference
is allowed, though, I think that the default should be a merge, and
experienced users could use the union when they know that it won't hurt
the scene.

-Nathan Kopp