POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrapping objects : Re: Wrapping objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrapping objects
From: K  Tyler
Date: 18 Jul 1998 02:14:48
Message: <35B02126.EC0FF410@pacbell.net>
Paolo Bormida wrote:

> Hi all !
> I have a (hope not stupid) question....
> Is it possible to wrap an image (using an image map texture I suppose)
> around an object such a sphere in a way it is not distorted ?
>
> POV-Ray docs says that tha texture is used as if "the object is carved from"
> or "the texture is projected onto": is it possible to have POV-Ray to do
> different ?
>
> Thanx in advance
> Paolo

    Have you tried the map_type option?
There are several image mapping types
type 0 - planer, type 1- spherical and there is also
cylindrical, toroidal, and maybe more I have forgotten.

For spherical mapping you would describe it like this:

sphere{<0,0,0>,1
 pigment{
  image_map{ tga "image.tga" map_type 1 once interpolate 2}
   translate<-.5,-.5,-.5>
    scale 2 }}

This should I believe accomplish what you are looking for.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
K.tyler