POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Clarifying some issues and a General RFC : Re: Clarifying some issues and a General RFC Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clarifying some issues and a General RFC
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 12 Jul 1998 18:37:24
Message: <35A92DB0.FC4B4604@hal-pc.org>
> The last bit about the non-linear transformations....
> [...clipped...]
> So to get the new point, take old point and move( change) by formula amount.

I've been thinking about this one, too (non-linear transformations).
It's a difficult problem. It would be easy (relatively) to take a shape
and skew it based on some function. However, I think there would be a
lot of work to also take into account surface normal, textures and
everything else which dictates what an object would look like at a
skewed point. I don't think it is impossible at all, just a very tricky
and uncomfortable problem. I sure ain't the guy to take on that one!

jb