POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : soap bubble : Re: soap bubble Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: soap bubble
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 17 Jun 1998 03:43:48
Message: <358773B4.1BC85BCA@dhol.com>
Anton Sherwood wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to approximate a minimal surface (soap film)
> > spanning a skew polygon?
>
> Afterthought: Failing that, if I slice it into flat triangles,
> is there a trick with "normal" to hide the facets?

If that is good enough, just use smooth_triangles.  Calculate the
normals at each junction by averaging the normals of the triangles that
meet there.  (Get those normals by vcrossing any two sides of each
triangle).  This will be visually smooth, but it is just a normal fiddle
and the surface will not "dip" between corners as a real minimal surface
would.  If you need that "dip" the sPatch suggestion is still probably
the easiest and most flexible way to go.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom