POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS & PovRay? : Re: NURBS & PovRay? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS & PovRay?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 14 Jun 1998 19:04:36
Message: <35845704.D72788F5@ltu.edu>
Johannes Hubert wrote:

> As I see it DXF is a open format.

Thanks for clearing that up.

> Anyway. Standard DXF is ASCII too. DXF-files with meshes are even larger
> than POV-files with meshes.

Interesting... I never compared file sizes. Is there a good standard binary
format, though?

In other news... I pulled my NURBS code out of mothballs and looked it over.
I've got a DJGPP/Allegro C++ file that can evaluate a NURBS surface value for
any given (u,v) vector.  I'll try to make it tesselate a NURBS surface into a
POV mesh file.  If I get that working, I'll try to build it into a new POV
primative.

When adding NURBS to POV, I'll probably just store the tesselated triangles in
a regular triangle mesh.  This would not require much additional code.
However, in the future we would probably want the data to be stored in a
bounded quad-tree format (similar to POV's bezier surfaces) to speed up
rendering.

-Nathan Kopp