POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS & PovRay? : Re: NURBS & PovRay? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS & PovRay?
From: Mike Hough
Date: 13 Jun 1998 13:44:14
Message: <3582BA6D.93B23A91@aol.com>
I don't think trimmed NURBS would be a priority anyway.  My understanding is that
Max's original implimentation of NURBS didn't include trimmed surfaces or curves.
Trimmed NURBS are considered bad news anyway, as they are not as easy to texture or
deform, and so I tend to avoid using them in Rhino.  They can be excluded by
planning ahead a bit.

Something that has recently got my attention, however, is that there is a new beta
of hash animation master that is able to import dxf files and create patches from
them.  The problem with it is that they create 3 point patches, which crinkle and
create holes badly.  How hard would it be to convert a triangle mesh into a
polyface mesh with 4 point polygons and then use the vertex info to create bezier
patches?   Provided that the number of points were reduced and evenly distributed,
perhaps that could be something easier manage than NURBS.

-Mike