POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS & PovRay? : Re: NURBS & PovRay? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS & PovRay?
From: Michael Smith
Date: 13 Jun 1998 09:59:04
Message: <358285A8.5673@labyrinth.net.au>
> And then again (and here my math-incompetence shines through :-) - why
> tesselate at all? Couldn't POV-Ray use the direct mathematical functions for
> intersection tests?
> As I understand it, spheres for example are not tesselated internally, but
> instead intersected directly. Would something like this be possible for
> NURBS too?
>
> Johannes.

Possibly. Not knowing much about NURBS mathematically, I couldn't say
for sure, but doing this tends to be computationally prohibitive - you
can tesselate enough that you can't tell the difference and still be a
hell of alot faster than direct intersection tests, in many cases. This
is presumably why POV uses a tesselated form for the current bezier
patches.

Michael Smith