POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS & PovRay? : NURBS & PovRay? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  NURBS & PovRay?
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 12 Jun 1998 11:26:32
Message: <358148A8.A516C2F7@fv.aetec.ee>
Hello!

I'd like to create models for PovRay, which could not be easily done
with PovRay primitives and CSG. I have version of Rhino and it's seems
to be best tool for such task. Only problem is, that Rhino models could
be used as meshes in PovRay and they tend to be quite large. So I
thought that it would be good, if PovRay could render NURBS directly,
without meshing.  McNeel provides IO toolkit, so there is possibility to
export NURBS in suitable format.
Is it possible to add NURBS support and how big effort it would be? I've
compiled bezier patch from Daniel Skarda and it seems pretty good for
start - it implements rational trimmed Bezier surfaces. Does anyone
knows, how to force PovRay to recognize NURBS?  Rhino documentation
recommends "The Nurbs Book (Monographs in Visual Communications)" by Les
A. Piegl, Wayne Tiller. Does anybody have this book and does it contains
enough information about NURBS math to implement their support in
PovRay?  If it does, then I consider to purchase this book and attempt
to patch PovRay. Or is there some other sources, suitable for this task
or is someone already working on this?

Sorry, if my ideas don't make sense, I am not firm in field of curves
and surfaces, but if I take this challenge, then things will change
(hopefully).