POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fog Basics (???) : Re: Fog Basics (???) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fog Basics (???)
From: Mike Hough
Date: 7 Jun 1998 03:19:59
Message: <357A3F1F.5C6245C7@aol.com>
OK, let's see if I can clear things up a bit (Oh geez, was that a pun?).  The
problem with using fog with skies is that a constant fog is infinite, which is
unrealistic.  The haze visible in  a real sky is caused by looking through a
layer of atmosphere that covers the earth.  Therefore it will always hide the
background color of a sky unless tranparency is added to the color of the
fog.  This won't create a realistic horizon because you won't get that soft
band of white.  The best way to do it is to use a ground fog and just play
with the distance so that you can see through the fog to the sky overhead and
so edge of the horizon is covered by the fog.  I wrote a short example of how
to create a sky on my web page and it gives a few examples on how to use a
ground fog:

http://members.aol.com/amaltheaj5/skytut1.html

-Mike