POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : tranparent objects : Re: tranparent objects Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:11:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tranparent objects
From: Lothar Esser
Date: 6 Jun 1998 20:27:07
Message: <3579DE5B.41C6@chop.swmed.edu>
Michael Lundahl wrote:

> Eeek! Double merge!? You are in for some serious rendering-times my friend.
>
> The later snippet of code will not help the rendering-time, only make your
> code easier to read.
>
> I would like to suggest this:
>
> Avoid merge.
> Use Blobs instead (the cylinders in blob are round-ended).
> Try to avoid transparency if you can...

   Hi Michael,

     thanks for the suggestion to use blobs. A scene with a blob instead
of cylinders is about 5 - 7 times faster. However I am not totally
thrilled with the shape of the blobs. If I use a small threshold to make
a cylinder look like a cylinder and not like a sausage lots of black
dots/ patches appear. Is that a bug ? Why is it not possible to use a
threshold of near 0 ? Is that a numerical problem ?  -I guess so-
Also it appears to me that blobs are slightly less transparent than
cylinders with the same transparency. I cannot quantify this observation
though - I might have done something wrong ...

Thanks for the good advice !

  Lothar

P.S. I am aware of the time penalty to pay for transparency and
reflection / refection or radiosity. All I am trying to do is to
minimize the rendering time if I can.