POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fog Basics (???) : Re: Fog Basics (???) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fog Basics (???)
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 6 Jun 1998 20:10:22
Message: <3579DA6D.47A9@osu.edu>
Klauss, Master of the Sewers wrote:

> I generally don't consider myself to be an absolute beginner in these
> things, as I have been tinkering with POV-Ray for the better part of two
> years, but I also realize that I don't have quite the experience that
> many others do, so please forgive my ignorance.
>
> I'm looking for a good means of determing an effective way to use fog.
> Whenever I attempt to use it, I get a semi-visible scene or a scene with
> a semi-visible background.  While this has its uses, I would be thrilled
> if anyone could provide a clearer (in depth, perhaps) explanation of fog
> and the various and sundry means of using it to maximum effect.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Klauss,
> Master of the Sewers

Funny that you ask this today. I just started toying with fog today.
I've just been testing a bunch of different values for the same image to
see what they do. This is in no way efficient, but i *almost* have the
desired effect that i wanted. The problem is that the sky in the
landscape i am doing is barely visible. I have the fog how i want it in
the distance, just like a ground fog up close and constant fog way back.
Ussually when you see a haze in the distance, you still can see the sky
rather clearly close to you. So, anyway, I think it would be great also
if someone could do a nice once over on the fog issue.

Ross
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by
your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we
borrow it from our Children."