POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting started. : Re: Getting started. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:10:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting started.
From: Thomas Jespersen
Date: 2 Jun 1998 18:03:49
Message: <357476AF.3308@daimi.aau.dk>
Art### [at] ilnkcom wrote:

> I've just loaded POV-Ray for Windows 3.1 and need help with something fundamental to
get started. Can I
> use a program such as Windows Paintbrush (.bmp) or NeoPaint (.pcx) or similiar to
draw an object, and then
> use that image file to be rendered with POV?

No you can't! There are, however, several 3d modellers available that
will enable you to make the objects interactively if that is what you
want. Try to look at http://twysted.net/ and press the reviews link
where you can download some of the most popular modellers.

> Also, looking at bits of code that I see in these news groups, am I correct in
assuming that learning C or
> C++ would be helpful in understanding how this all works.

Some of it looks a bit like C but it will not be easier for you to learn
C first. But if you want to learn programming later on, Povray is a very
good way to learn the basics. (and you will probably find it a bit
easier to learn C later on, if you know povray)