POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where to begin? : Re: Where to begin? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to begin?
From: Thomas Jespersen
Date: 2 Jun 1998 17:07:41
Message: <3574698E.33EC@daimi.aau.dk>
Ken Penner wrote:

> My question, put simply, is this:  are there any resources (books,
> Internet, etc) that state in clear terms how to integrate all this
> disparate stuff (or which stuff to use) to produce a viable product such
> as a game?

If you want to work with raytracing as POV does, I recommend this book:

Andrew S. Glassner: 'An Introduction to Raytracing'
ISBN: 0-12-286160-4

Game (3D) programming however is completely different as raytracing is
too slow for realtime action. I have a few internet ressources you can
try:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/demos/code (I am not sure I got the path
absolutely right, but try)

ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/

(if you do not develop for msdos, this resource is still useful, as
there are a lot of theoretical and non-msdos specific docs there too)

if you want any books on game programming try

http://www.amazon.com

this is the worlds largest bookstore, search for something like 'game
programming' and you will probably find something

I am still new to povray so I will not try answering your other
questions