POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Internet POV Modeller/Animator Project??? : Re: Internet POV Modeller/Animator Project??? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet POV Modeller/Animator Project???
From: Lonnie Ezell
Date: 22 May 1998 01:13:29
Message: <35650978.38782117@pcis.net>
While ANSI C/C++ applications are easily portable to many operating systems,
the GUI's are not remotely compatible.  So, what would have to be done is for
the GUI to be written to look and function very similar for each platform
seperately, while reusing the internal code.  Even then, I'm not sure exactly
how much would be usable, but it should be enough to make it worth while.

As mentioned previously, a cross-platform GUI library exists for C++ that
creates interfaces for:  Windows 3.1, 95, NT 4.0, almost all varieties of
UNIX/Linux using Motif, XView & XT, and Mac support to come soon...  Alas,
that would still leave out the Amiga and DOS platforms... I haven't used this
so I cannot say how good it works/ doesn't work!  :)

check it out here:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/julian.smart/wxwin/

As far as Java goes, I have done any programming in it, but after checking out
the examples and documentation, it doesn't look to bad.  Definitely check out
the examples though, they're fairly impressive as far as speed goes...  But
again, OpenGL goes across several platforms too...

Just some items for thought...