POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : csg bug ? : Re: csg bug ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: csg bug ?
From: Mike Hough
Date: 18 May 1998 17:41:54
Message: <3560AB22.299B97AA@aol.com>
I don't think there is anyway around it, but a super quick fix is:

#include "colors.inc"

/* Prints a 'L' in a white pannel */
difference {
 // The panel
 box {<-1,-1,0.5>, <17,12,2>}
 // The 'L'
 union {
  box {<0,0,0>, <1,9,1>}
  box {<1,0,0>, <6,1,1>}  //fix the coincidence surface

  pigment { color Red } // To see the L print
 }
 pigment { color White }
}

light_source {
 <8.5,5,-40>
 color White
 shadowless
}

// The camera looks into the 'L''s corner
camera {
 location <0.5,0.5,-2.5>
 direction z
 right x/3
 up y/3
}

Just don't have the objects in the union overlap the same space and you won't
have a problem.  The docs say that it is a numerical problem and makes no
distinction as to whether or not colors are the same.  I get the impression that
the problem is in POV finding surfaces and two surfaces occupying the same space
causes the background to show through, regardless of the color.