POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where to begin? : Where to begin? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:10:39 EDT (-0400)
  Where to begin?
From: Ken Penner
Date: 10 May 1998 16:00:43
Message: <3556076B.E2E0976E@worldnet.att.net>
I have a few general questions and a specific question that I'd like to
throw out.  I'm ready for a *real* challenge:  multi-user multimedia
internet game development. This will be a hobby of course, at least for
the time being.  I am no graphic artist.  After looking at how POVRay is
"programmed" it would appear to be a black art of floating point number
tweaking.  I am however a programmer.

My question, put simply, is this:  are there any resources (books,
Internet, etc) that state in clear terms how to integrate all this
disparate stuff (or which stuff to use) to produce a viable product such
as a game?

How does one produce MPEG movies like the intro to Diablo?  Is it
possible to use a 30-bit scanner on a photograph which is then "reverse
engineered" into a collection of objects readable by POV Ray (would
Adobe Photoshop do this?)  I have this in mind for background scenes
that would be hard to do with Moray.  Is it possible to create an
organic form in sPatch and then put it into a nonorganic background
scene created by Moray?  I have so many questions it's embarassing to
even try to ask them here.. I guess what I really need is somebody who's
willing to share information with me thru email (on a semi-consistent
basis).  Any kind souls??

I have downloaded Moray, sPatch, POV Ray, Texture Magic and a number of
interesting utilities like GForge and LParser.  I will be using Adobe
Photoshop and Illustrator.  Does this sound like a viable combination
for someone on a budget?  Are there any other MUST HAVE graphic
utilities that I missed?

sorry to be long winded... but this is all overwhelming.

-mike
tao### [at] junocom