POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povray crashes : Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes)
From: povray org admin team
Date: 9 May 1998 07:35:09
Message: <35553d06.26038110@news.povray.org>
>I'm starting work on an ActiveX version of PoV just for the purpose of
>easy integration to front ends.  I think the Window's version of PoV is
>bloated-  who wants to download a 4M rendering engine that should
>be ~1M.

Get your facts right. Most of that 4m is docs and misc files. PVENGINE itself
is 1.4m total. Your claim that the 'rendering engine' is 4m is misleading and
could put people off using POVWIN if they haven't already tried it.

>What should have been done was an ActiveX./DLL

'Should' by your standards perhaps. Active X didn't exist at the time (as you
should well know) and we won't use a DLL because it allows POV-Ray's renderer
to be too easily subverted by leechware.

Really, if you want a DLL-based renderer, why don't you simply write your own ?