POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Increasing dpi for printing : Re: Increasing dpi for printing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Increasing dpi for printing
From: Tony Vigil
Date: 3 May 1998 15:22:55
Message: <354CC40F.3F47F503@gte.net>
Johannes,

I am sorry if I sounded a bit harsh.  My bad!
I should have qualified which information was incorrect.

In one paragraph, you wrote:

"It is quite simple:
 If you have an image of 600x600 pixels and print it with 600dpi, then it
 will be 1x1 inch large. If you print the same image with 300dpi you get a
 2x2 inches image etc."

This is sort of correct.  Yes, you certainly could print the 600dpi image at
1"x1".  You could also get the same or better quality print from the same 600dpi
image at 2"x2" or even 4"x4" on some inkjet printers.  "Dots per inch" and
"pixels per inch" are two entirely different things.  One has to do with
printing, and the other has to do with video display.

In your example - if the 600x600 image was saved as a tiff at 600 pixels per
inch in any commercial image editor (i.e. Photoshop or CorelPaint), The image
will most certainly be printed 1x1 inch from within that program.  Unless of
course, your printer allows you to print at a different enlargment.  If that
same image is placed in Illustrator or Freehand or someother graphic
application, you have the ability to change the size of the image.  The number
of available pixels doesn't change, but the effective dpi does.  The same 1"
square 600x600 image enlarged to 2"x2" will now have an effective dpi of 300.

One thing I did mention in my original response was this - all the information
that I provided can be found in any 3rd party book about Photoshop or Computer
Imaging for press.

Again, I am sorry if I bit down too hard.

Sincerely,

Tony Vigil
Carta.graffiti