POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Linux? : Re: MORAY for Linux. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MORAY for Linux.
From: Stefan Blandow
Date: 22 Apr 1998 06:01:12
Message: <353dae49.1824707@203.103.185.50>
On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:55:20 GMT, bou### [at] rogerswaveca (Anthony
Bouttell) wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:37:12 -0700, "Twyst" <sir### [at] hotmailcom>
>wrote:
>

>>Anthony Bouttell wrote in message <353b1729.37592915@news.povray.org>...
>>>Can we please dipense with the histrionics people. If you want to
>>>froth at the mouth at the unfairness of whatever socio-poloitical
>>>system you are part of go to alt.whatever.
>>>

>>Uhmm...
>>Where did you get THAT? Jeff simply explained simple economics. I saw no
>>"Frothing at the mouth" or "histrionics". Especially nothing about
>>socio-political systems. Not intending to flame here, but really, sometimes
>>it helps to understand what has been written,  instead of taking exception
>>to what they appeared to say.
>>As well, it also helps to add something to the..........
>>
>>Twyst================================
>>EFnet and NewNet #povray Channel Operator
>>Website: http://planet1.v-wave.com/twyst
>>E-Mail: twy### [at] v-wavecom
>>=====================================
>>
>Sorry, wrong thread, meant to be a reply-reference to a one further
>back :
>
>Frothing, histrionics and socio-political:

Now I got it! Well, it was not ment to look and feel like frothing at
the mouth. It's just, ifone wants to get somewhere, one needs to
choose his way of drive. I was not talking about resistors and
transistors and what else you can do with it, to build computers and
they are quite useful. I am talking about computerizing and that it is
long gone a very hot socio-political item, Anthony!
OK, another try:
There is a planet, with x plants of a certain kind on it. Puh, a small
amount, covering a tenth of it. Let's say, this plant kills any other
plant, that tries to keep it's ground. It also induces the feeling,
that everybody must have it around and that everybody else has it,
except oneself (To enlighten the analogy, this is done by marketing
and advertisement). Next some generations, it's 2 times x.
Eight tenth left, who should feel threatened? 4 times x. There will be
people, who say, wait a moment! Overnext population doubling, there
will be no people left to say, wait a moment, there will be lost the
urge to individualize on computer-platforms, to ask for the best
solution to a (even known) problem.
It is simply not true, that the best survives, since mass psychology
and advertisement, if the people loose there urge to name what they
think is best.
I repeat an example: I have a 6 (six) years old Acorn A5000 here, that
has a 8 MHz bus, a clock speed of 30MHz. It is multitasking, it has
drag and drop to better extend than w98, it has a middle button mouse,
that opens menu right under the cursor.  And it opens it's folders on
an anti-aliased screen faster than a DX4/100 with a 30MHz bus. But if
I never would have known Acorn computers, I would never have known,
how slow MS systems are. Including NT. Now, what's Acorn?

>Bill Gates is sellin' the boulevard-press of coding, man! With an
>outlook of how the mass might imagine an egghead who nows! But he is
>just a selfmirroring lunatic, who wants power! And if you don't watch
>out, you'll find out. If you ever will. Your' talkin' freedom? Freedom
>starts with education on this earth, my friend! That's the highest
>responsibility, one can take here! One tragedy with nouveaux riches is
>their lack in education for the responsibility to educate.
>Do we need such a man, who never stops?
>We had one over here in germany, man, really exciting!
>You may admire him for his thrust, but, oh, be careful !

There is a freedom of choice, that to defend you may call pathetic or
histrionic, but it is not alt.something, Anthony, it is main. And so
it happens, this having been the thread about the OS being and, if
ever, which one to come for Moray, I have to declare the underlying
reasons for my would be choice.
I am not complaining about unfairness, I am talking about interests.

steff

steff