POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Linux? : Re: MORAY for Linux. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MORAY for Linux.
From: Matthew Mc Clement
Date: 21 Apr 1998 20:57:40
Message: <353D4084.5DB6F2E7@global.net.uk>
Johannes Hubert wrote:

> Matthew Mc Clement wrote in message <353C8B47.A9457565@global.net.uk>...

*sniped because news.povray.org decided my message had too much "included text"...*

> While reason 1 may not be as valid for Linux users (probably they really do
> care how good a software is and rather buy another product instead of a
> buggy one more than the average Windows user), I don't see the reason 2 not
> appying to Linux users!
> Or do you really think that an "In-love-with-Linux" graphic designer would
> not buy Linux Photoshop (if it came out), just because it has more bugs than
> it should have for the price? And rather leave the beloved Linux and go to
> the Macintosh where (since it is Photoshop's homeplatform) the software may
> presumably (and I am guessing here) be more bugfree? Or not use any other
> "really needed killerapplication" only because it is "not very well done"?
> Never! He/She would grumble and rebel (as I sometimes do with the Adobe
> products), but still use the software!

Your points are all true. I'm not trying to argue that the OS is the root of all evil.
The
real problem is a conbination of marketing and "industry" standards. As you pointed
out
people just have to have Photoshop because it is the industry standard. It does not
matter
that other graphics programs can also export to photoshop files and load them with
ease.
Photoshop was a leader, and probably pretty stable, in the beginning, and the only
reason
it has remained the leader is through marketing hype, rather than product quality.
Same
goes for Microsoft Office, Pagemaker and AutoCAD(AutoCAD is really only included
because
of its cost...). Now all this marketing makes the average win95 user go ohhhhh,
wow...I
must have that. And the big ones make more money...

Look, the point I'm trying to make is that your average computer user will buy
whatever
product that has been marketed the best, even if it is buggy. But I'm not trying to
say
that Linux will solve everyones problems and make the world a better place. If
SoftTronics
decides not to port Moray then thats their decision. Only companies that already have
the
money and already do a lot of their work on unices or like linux(good example is
IDSoftware) are likely to port their current products over to Linux. Unfortunately
their
are those that do not want to accept this and bitch and moan the developers to port
their
applications over to Linux. I don't think this is the approach to take. Either you ask
them politely if they would port their programs to Linux and if they say no and give a
good reason, drop the issue or offer the developer some kind of incentive, like lots
of
money...;-)

Anyways, am tired and must goto bed.

Cheers, Matthew