POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Linux? : Re: MORAY for Linux. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MORAY for Linux.
From: Andrew Humphries
Date: 21 Apr 1998 17:39:12
Message: <353D1200.E55028D6@geocities.com.remove.this>
Johannes Hubert wrote (among other things) :

> And nobody tell me it is NT's fault, because I know better. If an
> application like Photoshop crashes when you open a certain menu command,
> that is almost always the fault of the application, not NT. And a bad
> application crashes on Linux just as it does on NT.
> I guess the lots of talk about Microsoft's "unstable" OSes come from W95 /
> 3.x users, where it certainly may be true. Not so for NT (in my experience).
> While I can very good remember the last time an application crashed on me, I
> can not remember the last time NT crashed on me. A crashed application is
> easily killed. And I am using my computer (and several others) 8+ hours a
> day, in development work, where buggy alpha-stage (or pre-alpha prototypes)
> really lay a strain on the OS.

I installed Linux on my system about a week ago, which already has NT4
and 95 on.
I have lost count of the number of times NT has crashed recently
(before I put linux on, and not including applications errors).
I was wondering if you've heard of or seen the "Blue Screen Of Death"
which NT shows when it crashes? - Its the number of these I have lost
count of.
I have however recorded the number of times I reinstalled NT, and that
count is currently 26, which IMO is quite a lot considering I only got
it last year - about July.
As you might have guessed by now, I disagree in every possible way
with statement: "NT is a stable Operating System" if anyone cares to
say it.

Hopefully, I will have more luck with Linux.

BTW, if any of you were wondering, I have applied service pack 3 and
all current hot fixes to all of my NT installations.  I have also
checked NTs hardware compatability list - when I checked the list
before I ordered NT, I remembered that all of the hardware in my
machine was in that list.

I have cuurently not looked into modellers for Linux yet, but should
do so soon, so if anyone has any advice on which ones to try out that
are reasonably up to date, please let me know.
--
 Andrew Humphries
  http://www.ahumph.ndirect.co.uk/