POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Problem DEM2POV/DEM2TGA? : Re: Problem DEM2POV/DEM2TGA? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem DEM2POV/DEM2TGA?
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Apr 1998 13:57:01
Message: <353797ED.BDD028E8@fv.aetec.ee.nospam>
STUDENT wrote:

> I have been trying to use DEM data for Eastern Australia found at
> http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/landdaac/gtopo30/gtopo30.html.  Unfortunately
> all
> the dem2tga & dem2pov converter's do not seem to like it.
>
> Would anyone be able to:
> a) direct me to alternate Oz data,
> b) direct me to a converter that will work, or
> c) tell me where I am going wrong. Below is a summary of the process I
> am now
> using and the error messages. (It appears the DEM file type is
> incompatible?)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Roger.

Hi!
I guess I'm able for options b and c ;-)
I've run to this problem as well. As it appears, there is at least 2 different file
types with same extensions: in GTOPO DEM file is pure binary stuff and information
about DEM file (size, origin data etc) is contained in supplemental files (HDR,
e.g.), other files are textual with header in the beginning and height data
following. DEM2POV works with textual file, seems like DEM2TGA does same (though I
haven't tried it).
In order to solve this, I wrote little program, named DEMTOTGA, which converts these
GTOPO files to 16-bit TGA (compatible with POV-Ray height field ones). I attach my
program for trial. It is intended for Windows, if You have other platform and C
compiler, then mail me and I'll send source code.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'demtotga.zip' (39 KB)