POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Dark when it should be light ? : Re: Dark when it should be light ? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dark when it should be light ?
From: Mark King
Date: 15 Apr 1998 16:25:09
Message: <353517A5.FF3F0E83@csi.com>
Hello Alan.

You have to remember that because the light it so near the floor (or
wall) that the rays will fall on it at a very shallow angle so it will
not be very bright except very close to the light itself. The rays will
almost be parallel to the floor. The light source does illuminate
everything equally in that the brightness of the light does not diminish
over distance unless you tell it to. But the angle the light falls on an
object affects how much the object is illuminated.

Hope that makes sense. (I hope I'm right! :-))

Mark.

yan### [at] pacbellnet wrote:

> Still working my way thru the tutorial...
>
> I have the camera and light_source inside a white box.
> When I put the light_source close to one side of
> the box, that side is rendered very dark.
>
> This really surprises me.
> Could someone please explain why this is, so that
> I can anticipate this kind of behavior in the future?
>
> The doc. says:
> A pointlight ... illuminates  everything in the scene
> equally no matter how far away from the light source
> it may be.

[snip]