POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Slope dependent textures : Re: Slope dependent textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slope dependent textures
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 7 Apr 1998 09:18:19
Message: <352b26d4.479269@10.0.2.33>
On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 01:16:44 +0200, Hans-Detlev Fink <hdf### [at] pecosde>
wrote:

>> Doesn't a slope of 1.0 correspond to a "vertical" surface, while 0.5
>> corresponds to "horizontal?"
>
>No.  Well, depends on vertical with respect to what. You are
>right if you mean a surface that is perpendicular to y.
>I meant vertical in the everday way, ie a surface that is parallel
>to y (like a wall etc.).

Doh! I even looked at the code you mention, but I messed up on that
one.  The _normal_ is vertical for slopes of 0 or 1.  Oops.

BTW, one fix for the bug you mention in the readme file is to use a
symmetrical color map.  This works in cases where you don't draw a
distinction between horizontal and "anti-horizontal."  In other cases,
such as the pyramid with sand on one surface, this won't work.