POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Slope dependent textures : Slope dependent textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Slope dependent textures
From: Hans-Detlev Fink
Date: 6 Apr 1998 12:14:23
Message: <3528FF5F.700B@pecos.n.o-s.p.a.m.de>
Hi pov friends!

As discussed in povray.binaries.images already,
I have patched POV 3.02 for slope dependent textures.
The new keyword slope is used in a similar way as
eg 'gradient'. It takes a vector as its parameter.
It returns values between 0.0 and 1.0, depending
on the angle between the local surface normal and
the slope parameter vector. 0.0 means antiparallel,
0.5 means perpendicular, 1.0 is parallel.

Thus, with 'slope y' it is quite easy to give your
objects a snow (or sands or whatever) covered outfit.

If you want to give it a try: the patch is available
at ftp://user.pecos.de/pub/povray. It contains a readme
and two patch files (in unified diff format). One is for
plain POV 3.02 source, the other one is for 3.02 source that
contains R. Suzuki's iso-surface patch (beta-18).

As usual, this is an unofficial patch.

Enjoy.

-Hans-

-----
Remove n.o-s.p.a.m. to obtain my real address.
-----

In seeking the unattainable,
simplicity only gets in the way.
-- ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982