POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Speeding up mesh parsing? : Re: Speeding up mesh parsing? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up mesh parsing?
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 26 Mar 1998 14:57:19
Message: <351AB31F.1ACAED9A@fv.aetec.ee.nospam>
Ronald L. Parker wrote:

> But the conversion step will require that you
> parse the mesh at least once.  That's probably still a big win for
> most of us, since we rarely do only one render of a given file.

This was the idea: parse mesh once!

> Meshes aren't just smooth triangles; they can also contain triangles.
> That's not too hard to deal with.

Well, Rhino exports smooth triangles and I use mostly them. But triangles are
event easier to deal with.

Couple of days ago I got my IRTC cd-rom and looked at POV-Ray v. 3.01 source.
As it appears, this should not be too hard to accomplish, so I try it by
myself. At first I try to avoid hard case (each triangle with own tex) and
try to read simple meshes with only one tex per mesh.