POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : geometry : geometry Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  geometry
From: ssobol2533
Date: 20 Oct 2000 13:20:35
Message: <34v0vso0datjndkldt3jre8bii1dire9b7@4ax.com>
Hi,

I am having a problem with orienting objects in CSG's. Due to my poor
math skills I can't seem to figure it out.

I want to use one cube to cut another cube using a difference CSG.
Sort of like making a pyramid by cutting a cube. However, unlike a
pyramid the cutting cube I want to use is not square to any axis.
Since I am trying to model something specific using the CSG I would
like to position the cutting cube precisely.

I know the coordinates of three points on the cube to be cut which I
want to hit with the cutting cube. Does anyone know a procedure to
determine from these points the rotation angles (x,y,z) I need to
place the cutting object where I want it?

Right now I have to use trial and error and lots of renderings to get
the results I want by making slight tweaks to the rotations. Perhaps
there is a better way?

Thanks for any help,

Stefan