POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POVRay Program Files : Re: POVRay Program Files Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Program Files
From: Twyst
Date: 5 Mar 1998 04:43:59
Message: <34fe665c.0@news.povray.org>
Michael wrote in message <34f65bba.0@news.povray.org>...
>I have two questions:
>
>1.)  Are all the files needed to run POVRay located in it's directory?  I
>need to know if any of the files went into another directory during
>installation (ie - a .dll file going to windows/system).
>
>and...
>
>2.)  If all of the files are in the same directory, could I copy them all
>an iomega zip disk and run the program on another computer?  If this were
>possible, would it slow down the rendering speed?
>
>I'm interested in doing this because I have access to campus computers
which
>are much better than mine and would like to raytrace on them (for speed
>reasons).  I would assume that if I started the program from the zip disk,
>most, if not all of it, would go into RAM (there's 96MB memory on these
>comps.) so once it was loaded, it wouldn't access my zip disk too much.  Am
>I right?
>
>thanks for any help

Well, It works fairly well, BUT... you WILL need to do an install EACH time
you change comps..
It writes to a few INI files.. but.. it WILL run happily on a Zip Drive..
All you do is install it to the Zip Drive each time.. you WON'T lose any
files you have added, but you will lose any changes you made to the default
files..

EFnet and NewNet #povray Channel Operator
Website: http://twyst.home.ml.org
E-Mail: twy### [at] v-wavecom