POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV & OpenGL? : Re: Technical wish list (was: Re: POV & OpenGL?) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical wish list (was: Re: POV & OpenGL?)
From: Eugene Lazutkin
Date: 22 Feb 1998 00:14:00
Message: <34efb45e.0@news.povray.org>
As far as I understood, your biggest concern is a speed of conversion
from a some-complex-object to a mesh. I do believe that it will not be a
bottleneck in most cases providing we are not going to recreate our scene
with a PovRay quality. Exact "approximation" of sphere has infinite number
of triangles ;-). We don't need _that_ in a preview mode.

Years ago I was surprised that bezier-based approximation working with
1-pixel precision draws circles virtually identical to ones produced be
"real" math formula. A number of lines produced by bezier was relatively
low. And a raw speed is incomparable (bezier is faster)! So far I didn't
see any real life examples, which don't benefit from an approximation.
Of course some quality can be lost.

If new version of PovRay could parse a file on the fly or in the background,
the same techniques can be applied: as you change the file it can convert
only changed parts. You don't need to convert a PovRay file to some other
graphics primitives every time. You can store this information in a
persistent "cache" file specific to the driver (OpenGL, D3D or whatever
you have). How to support it up-to-date? You already said about lookup
tables and there are zillions of other possible solutions for external-data-
to-internal-cache problem.

If we look at really simplistic cases like the Turok game, we will see that
all 3D accelerators outperform any known software-based renderers (i.e.,
see excellent Tom's Hardware Guide @ http://www.tomshardware.com/
for some numbers and pics). Speaking for myself, I do try to use some
obscure visual effects and unusual shapes in my scenes which are not
possible to recreate with Voodoo2 :-) but usually my geometry is not
more complex than some complex scenes in the Quake II or the Turok.
I wish I was able to render at their speed!

...And MMX can help too. :-) ...And multiprocessing is very helpful. :-)

Cheers,

Eugene

<01bd36e9$46e16b60$181657a8@W_tristan.gb.tandem.com>...