POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV with 3D cards and MMX? : Re: POV with 3D cards and MMX? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV with 3D cards and MMX?
From: GrimDude
Date: 21 Jan 1998 10:12:00
Message: <34c62067.0@news.povray.org>
I used to have a Cyrix chip in the system I'm using here. It had a heat
problem , which led me to replace it, but I did notice a performance
increase, within Pov-Ray, when I went to a *slower* Intel chip. The Cyrix
was a 150+, and the Intel is a 100. So, was the heat problem causing a
performance hit, or does Intel have more then a single math pipe, (which
would help I guess)?
  Also, I hear there's a 16 processor Intel system out there. Has anyone
re-coded Pov-Ray to take advantage of such a thing (I heard the answer to
Scott's question). I had a multi-processor system before, but somehow
running 16 copies of Pov-Ray just doesn't interest me. I believe it would
make one helluva server, though.
  Cautioning me about the cost of such a system is pointless, if it will
speed up rendering.
--
Paul Hinds
gri### [at] swbellnet