POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV & OpenGL? : Re: Technical wish list (was: Re: POV & OpenGL?) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:35:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical wish list (was: Re: POV & OpenGL?)
From: Eugene Lazutkin
Date: 9 Jan 1998 11:58:43
Message: <34b66582.0@news.povray.org>
I am talking about preview mode to test geometry, placements, sizes and
so on (see my original post). I am aware that it is not possible to recreate
the exact picture with OpenGL or Direct3D. But we can approximate :-).
We can simulate complex shapes with basic ones.

Sometimes I need rather crude picture but I can't use small previews
because my picture consists of a number of small objects. In this case
what I need is _raw speed_.

I know about future convergence between OpenGL and DirectX and I
welcome it. But they will be distinct at least for 5 more years: first
commercial version of low-level API is scheduled on Y2K and it will
need some polish (you can trust me on that :-) ) and don't forget about
legacy UNIX systems which will support good old OpenGL for their
lifetime :-).

Eugene