POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV & OpenGL? : Technical wish list (was: Re: POV & OpenGL?) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Technical wish list (was: Re: POV & OpenGL?)
From: Eugene Lazutkin
Date: 23 Dec 1997 14:13:42
Message: <34a01b25.0@news.povray.org>
I agree with you 100%. OpenGL can help a lot when someone debugs a
geometrically complex scene (placements, geometry, sizes) when it is
not practical to use small previews. It may not help to test lights and
textures but anyway it will be _very_ useful piece of functionality.

My wish list for future versions of POV-Ray:

General: OpenGL preview and multiprocessor capabilities.
Windows-specific: (possibly) Direct3D preview, full MMX support.

Reasons: I see OpenGL and DirectX as the only reasonable way to support
platform-specific hardware- (and software-) assisted acceleration. All new
processors are MMX-capable and it is a crime not to use accelerating
facilities for computing power-hungry apps :-). Now when memory prices are
going down and Intel processors are dirt cheap, it is practical and
inexpensive
to have a dual processor computer under NT or whatever you like. There is
a number of multiprocessor UNIX computers out there. A lot of people buy
dual-processor motherboards counting on future upgrades by adding second
CPU. I believe it should be supported eventually.

Eugene

-- Eugene Lazutkin (eug### [at] ABCcarnac-graphicscom) hint: remove ABC