POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Newcomer to POV with questions : Re: Newcomer to POV with questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newcomer to POV with questions
From: Edward Wedig
Date: 10 Feb 1998 05:17:50
Message: <34E02941.208D@kreber.com>
Wykan wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
> I am relatively new to ray tracing and to POV, and I am trying to sort out
> the complex flood of information. Perhaps someone can answer a few
> questions for me:
>
> # 1 - Do I need anything besides POV to do ray tracings? It seems that I do
> not, but I have heard much talk of the various utilities available, such as
> Moray, Texture Magic, and others. Are these utilities necessary, or merely
> helpful?

The extra utilities and .inc files are merely helpful. You do not need
them to start raytracing.

> # 2 - Which among the various utilities available are Shareware? Or better
> yet, Freeware?

I'm not sure, as I do not use Moray or Texture Magic.

> # 3 - Which ones are compatible with Windows95? DOS is evil, and I want
> nothing to do with it.

Ah, another user brainwashed by M$. <shaking my head>

> # 4 - I am particularly interested in creating animation; what utilities
> (if any) will I need?

Your best bet is to get Dta. This utility will let you make your tga
frames into a fli animation file. I think it's available at the povray
homepage (www.povray.org) under utilities.

--
Edward Wedig
Content Management