POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Block colour not being rendered : Re: Block colour not being rendered Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Block colour not being rendered
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 18 Dec 1997 09:14:50
Message: <349a2e00.3408220@10.0.2.33>
On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:59:47 +1100, Mark Hyde <mlh### [at] northnetcomau>
wrote:

>Hi  I am trying to render a scene of a child's room with some toya on
>the floor and a bed in the corner.  Everything renders fine except for
>two plastic blocks that have wheels on.  The wheels and the knobs on top
>of the blocks come out as planned but the main part of the block  comes
>out as being black.
>
>#declare Bottom = box { <-4, 4, -5>
>  <4, 6, -7>
>  finish {
>    ambient .3
>    diffuse .6
>  }
>}
[ ... ]
>#declare Block_1 = union {
[ ... ]
>  object {Bottom}
>}
[ ... ]
>object {Block_1
>  pigment {Blue}
>}

It looks as though the texture on a union doesn't override any
textures specified for the components of the union.  I wasn't able to
find where this is mentioned in the documentation, if anywhere, but if
you move your finish statement from the declaration of Bottom to the
declaration of Block_1 (where it should probably be anyway) it works
just fine.