POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! : Re: Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!!
From: Matthew Mc Clement
Date: 17 Dec 1997 22:51:54
Message: <34989DDA.16A8@clara.net>
BearFace wrote:

> There is one out there, I had it a while ago and lost the zip of
> it...you can export dxf-pov and either label parts with a texture
> (pov-original) before export or in the pov code the parts are either
> union triangles or bicubics, separate, and can be re textured.
>
> It very much depends on the original dxf, I've found - some let you
> export parts, other seem to be one unit...???

Actually it really depends on the program you are importing the dxf
into. dxf supports both layers and different colours for the various
parts. For example: Extreme 3d imports dxf files but for some reason
totaly ignores the layers. If you want sperate the pieces you need to
make them different colours even although extreme 3d supports layers??!!
On the other hand, Breeze Designer just imports the dxf file as a big
mesh(actually as a 2d dxf extrusion I think but its about the same
thing) and so you can't texturize the seperate parts.

what it all sums up as is that I personally hate the dxf format because
the files are large and clumsy. I'd have prefered it if the .3ds format
was standard as its files are more compact. Admittedly it is binary and
I think there may be problems with transfering it between to types of
computers but then you can just use .asc files which are the plain text
versions of 3ds files....

Cheers, Matthew

P.S. Have you tried WCVT2POV? Wriiten by Keith Rule. Try a serach on
altavista as I've lost the url to his webpage....