POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! : Re: Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:31:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual Real Estate Plots FREE!!
From: Ken Cecka
Date: 9 Dec 1997 22:43:11
Message: <348e1dce.0@news.povray.org>
For as long as I can remember, POV-Ray has had the Y axis up and left handed
coordinates.  Although that contradicts traditional mathematical 3-space, it
is the set used in many renderers and modelers.  I don't know the reason for
sure, but i'm guess it's because most people are more comfortable with
two-dimensional cartesian coordinates with y being up and x being negative
on the left and positive on the right.  If you've heard of the term
z-buffering, it's a technique for buffering 3-d information in relation to
the foreground and background.  Anyway, If modeling with the y axis up is a
problem in moray, go ahead and model with the z axis up.  When you're done,
export your scene to a pov file.  Edit the pov file with a text editor and
wrap the whole thing in a union.  Inside the closing brace of the union that
you added to the scene, add a rotation and it will spin your whole scene so
that the y-axis is up in your scene.  It shouldn't hinder your modeling at
all.  Good luck!

Ken