POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV & OpenGL? : Re: POV & OpenGL? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV & OpenGL?
From: Ken Cecka
Date: 14 Nov 1997 03:23:56
Message: <346c1929.0@news.povray.org>
This brings up a good questions that I've been wondering about.  Does OpenGL
do realtime CSG?  As far as I know, OpenGL just processes triangle meshes,
not true mathematical objects of the type pov uses.  You would have to
convert your objects to meshes, crunch out the csg's on your processor, and
then send them to the card for display.  That would really defeat the
purpose of pov, since it tries to avoid meshes.  But I really don't know a
lot about OpenGL.  Does it have built in functionality for CSG?

Ken