POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV & OpenGL? : Re: POV & OpenGL? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV & OpenGL?
From: Malachi Rubric von Halfhorse
Date: 14 Nov 1997 05:42:58
Message: <346C2B32.913E4BFD@mad.mad.mad.rhubarb>
>     Many people (Dan Farmer for instance, one of the best and best
> known POV-Ray artists ever) don't use modellers at all (or very
> little)  They do in fact use POV-Ray test renders, and a bit of trial
> and error, to 'model' their scenes.  I would say that POV-Ray would be
> all the better if it DID have an option to represent the scene via an
> OpenGL preview.  Then, when you get things in the correct positions
> and get your CSG's etc. correct, you could switch back to a raytraced
> preview so that you can see how the more complex textures are doing.

OpenGL is designed mainly to accelerate animations - manipulating 3D
objects in real-time - and so the effect on static renders probably
wouldn't be worthwhile. If you're looking to do lower-quality previews
while developing a scene, POV-Ray has the command line switches to do
that already - I think it's +Qx where 0<=x<=9, I used to use it a lot
when running on a 486 but nowadays I use the mosaic preview for quicker
test renders.