POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : DXF to POV : Re: DXF to POV Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:34:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DXF to POV
From: Joshua Boyd
Date: 11 Nov 1997 23:49:10
Message: <34693546.2539@aol.com>
Jon S. Berndt wrote:

> George Hunt wrote:
> >
> > On 10 Nov 97 20:31:20 GMT, "Jon Berndt" <jsb### [at] hal-pcorg> wrote:
> >
> > >Is anyone aware of a program (or extension ??) which takes a .dxf
> > file
> > >(e.g. AutoCAD files, or 3D Home Designer-exports - in my case) and
> > converts
> > >it to a POV file? Surely there must be one. If not, would anyone here
> > like
> > >to see one? If I can't find one I'll probably "roll my own".
> > >
> > >Jon Berndt
> >
> > Jon,
> >   I've had the same need and already rolled my own.  It's a two step
> > process.  Convert from DXF to RAW and thenfrom RAW to POV.  What I've
> > done is write the first part, a utility called D2R  (I've just but a
> > copy of the archive up in povray.binaries.utilites).  The second step,
> > converting from RAW to POV is don with Thomas Baier's 3DTO3D (There's
> > a DOS windows as well as a Windows version).  3DTO3D can be obtained
> > at his site at
> >
> >   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/thbaier/
> >
> >   Regards,
> >      George Hunt
> >
> > P.S.
> >    My D2R utility is also available at my site...
>
> I have looked at the .dxf output from 3D Home Architect, and it looks
> like 2D code. I have written to Broderbund (mfgr'r of 3DHA) asking them
> about this but do not expect a reply for a day or two, if at all.
>
> I sure would like to transform my floor plans to POV ... will your
> method work for this?

If it is 2D code, you will need to loft it into a 3d object.  I don't
know what programs can do it that are free.  Moray might...  You might
need to convert it to an EPS file, or an AI file.  Just lofting it will
look pretty bad though.  If it is 3d dxf file, then most dxf coverters
should work, I would think.