POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : DXF to POV : Re: DXF to POV Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DXF to POV
From: George Hunt
Date: 11 Nov 1997 00:24:05
Message: <3467ea6e.372399602@news.stmuc.com>
On 10 Nov 97 20:31:20 GMT, "Jon Berndt" <jsb### [at] hal-pcorg> wrote:

>Is anyone aware of a program (or extension ??) which takes a .dxf file
>(e.g. AutoCAD files, or 3D Home Designer-exports - in my case) and converts
>it to a POV file? Surely there must be one. If not, would anyone here like
>to see one? If I can't find one I'll probably "roll my own".
>
>Jon Berndt

Jon,
  I've had the same need and already rolled my own.  It's a two step
process.  Convert from DXF to RAW and thenfrom RAW to POV.  What I've
done is write the first part, a utility called D2R  (I've just but a
copy of the archive up in povray.binaries.utilites).  The second step,
converting from RAW to POV is don with Thomas Baier's 3DTO3D (There's
a DOS windows as well as a Windows version).  3DTO3D can be obtained
at his site at

  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/thbaier/

  Regards,
     George Hunt

P.S.
   My D2R utility is also available at my site...
George Hunt --- Raytracer Obsessivo
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lightsword
102### [at] compuservecom