POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Glimpse of A Bigger World - take 3 : Re: A Glimpse of A Bigger World - take 3 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:45:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Glimpse of A Bigger World - take 3
From: Glen Berry
Date: 19 Jun 2003 07:50:44
Message: <2q73fvsgassooas8e4v0juee7i5e62tqfm@4ax.com>
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:06:05 +0200, "Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom>
wrote:

>However, I'm not sure how to handle the top part getting cropped. While
>it will indeed add to the feeling you mention, it will also put the
>hole/eye vertically in the center of the image instead of just below it,
>and this will disturb the composition quite a lot I think. The only
>potential solution I can see is to move the hole in the egg slightly
>downwards. Maybe I will try that out... Thanks for the suggestion. :)

If you are worrying about violating some sort of "rules of
composition", then quit worrying. I would be more concerned about the
emotional impact of the image than any generic set of rules. Remember,
artistic "rules" are really only suggested starting points.

However, if you still feel the need to move the eye away from the
image's vertical center, I would suggest trying to move the eye
*above* the center, instead of below. One of the effects of my
cropping suggestion is the perceived elevating of the eye, in
comparison to the distant hills in the background. The change in
perceived elevation (perceived, not actual) increased the disparity
between the subject and its surroundings.

If you elevate the eye hole within the egg itself, this would probably
accentuate this feeling even more. I also think it would look a little
more "natural" having the eye a little closer to the top of the egg.
Imagine yourself in such an egg enclosure, where would your eyes most
likely be inside the egg? Since your head is at the top of your body,
I doubt that your eyes would naturally tend to be near the middle of
the egg. It would make things even more cramped inside, if you had to
contort yourself to look out a hole that more comfortably coincided
with the placement of your ribs.   :)

later,
Glen Berry