POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV glows in UberPOV : Re: MegaPOV glows in UberPOV Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:34:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV glows in UberPOV
From: INVALID ADDRESS
Date: 14 Nov 2016 19:13:32
Message: <273903695.500860537.643343.gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom@news.povray.org>
> There is no difference in render output between a stand-alone glow and a
> light source glow -- the difference you're seeing is caused by the
> differences in the glow parameters.
>
> As for the other parameters (camera and/or glow being located inside an
> object, with hollow on or off) I think there's indeed something strange
> going on, but we'll need a comparison with MegaPOV output to decide what
> to do about it.

There are some known legacy bugs with Glows, such as them showing through
solid objects, and perhaps if it proves vexing enough we can address some
of those at a later time.

However some of them are impractical to tackle at this time in my opinion,
like the issue I mentioned above.

Such things might be best handled at a later time when there is a cohesive
plan involving scattering media/media in general, but I am unaware of any
planned additions/extensions or modifications to the media implementation.

I would of course be happy to sponsor such efforts once I have completed
the transfers for the Glow feature, but I leave both the creation and
prioritization of any such list to the developers, and will simply
reinforce their efforts as much as I can in any way they feel would be
positive.

Should a short list of their big to-do items be released, perhaps with a
funding threshold for each item based on what it would take to make the
effort worth it, I shall happily back it. GoFundMe might be an idea, I
don't know if that platform allows itemized lists or not though.

It would be awful, unfair, and would spell the doom of this idea for them
to engage a complex beast of a feature only to have the funding come down
to only myself (though I may be but a trickle, I will not wane); thus
having a threshold before work begins may be a prudent course.

I do not wish to get in their way, but instead to smooth it and enable more
dedicated work on bigger features than might otherwise occur in a given
time, and invite everyone to join me in support of their grand effort.

These folks have done a wonderful job over the years and I sure as heck am
not about to attempt to meddle with that, but instead only to enable it
further. The control is theirs, and I respect them all.

Ian