POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Continued cloth experiments (quicktime ~450 kb) : Re: Continued cloth experiments (quicktime ~450 kb) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 07:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continued cloth experiments (quicktime ~450 kb)
From: Reusser
Date: 22 Nov 2001 10:10:28
Message: <221120010908005894%reu1000@chorus.net>
In article <3bfcf6f4@news.povray.org>, Chaps <cha### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> I am very interested in your experiments. Sinc I saw your first animation I
> have tried to do the same. I've got some results, but the parsing time is
> huuuuuuuuuuuuuge. how do you handle that?

I've wondered the same.  The cloth patches for pov-ray seem to be far,
far faster than I can manage to make mine.  I'm can't help but wonder
exactly how they are speeding things up.  Most likely it's just a lot
faster not in pov-ray code. (?)  I have simplified things as much as I
can, so I don't think I can speed it up too much more.  All I can
really to do help the parsing time is just do low quality versions with
the high-quality versions going overnight or when I'm gone.

> On my side I've started to write an external utility in C++ that can perform
> the cloth animation and provide mesh2 objects at each clock steps. However,
> I've still many "open points" like synchronizing the rendering and my
> utility program, input the cloth description from a union of bicubic
> patches...

For mine, I have just been using megapov's persistent variables to
store variables from one frame to the next.  It's been working pretty
well for me.  Is the C++ version siginificantly faster?

 - Rico