POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Opaque clouds? : Re: Opaque clouds? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opaque clouds?
From: John Coppens
Date: 23 Dec 2013 23:47:33
Message: <20131224014732.db570833ed97ef33bae27a61@johncoppens.com>
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:27:37 +0000
David Given <dg### [at] cowlarkcom> wrote:

> The clouds are implemented as a textured sphere 35km above the surface.
> The cirrus texture on the sphere is adequate, but I can fix that. The
> thing I'm worried about is the dark edge on the horizon.

Just an observation - clouds are generally from 0 to say 10 or 12 km.
Normally the height of the clouds is only 4-6km. Only in summertime,
you'l have cumulonimbus reaching above 10km. Clouds at 35 km do exist,
but are normally not directly visible.

Also, air density dimishes exponentially. It's 1000 hpa at 0 meters,
and only 6 hpa at 30 km. So you'll have to simulate the varying
refraction index. http://jcoppens.com/globo/teoria/atmcalc.en.php
has still a calculator from the time we launched a few experimental
balloons.

This might help your realism a little.