POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : oh my... : Re: oh my... Server Time
14 May 2024 19:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oh my...
From: John Coppens
Date: 29 Jun 2009 02:24:14
Message: <20090629032413.b535db87.john@johncoppens.com>
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:51:05 EDT
"Hildur K." <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> if power failure can do this.

Well, the most likely problem with RAM is always the mechanical part -
the connector. This is easy to test - just take them out and reinsert.

If you have several memory sticks, you could try and interchange them,
see if the error changes. If a combination can be found where the machine
starts, look at the memory size in the BIOS messages, to see if the sum
is what you had before.

There's a remote possibility that the BIOS has some setting called
'wait-states', which may have changed (though this is on older machines).
If more modern, the memory sticks have a small memory with description of
the configuration, which can change.

Then, the RAM itself can break down - many reasons... Old age, power
peaks, power cycles, soldering problems, ...

Ah well, computers... You live with them, and you can't live without them.

John