POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : PNG images : PNG images Server Time
18 May 2024 13:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  PNG images
From: John Coppens
Date: 12 Aug 2008 01:04:59
Message: <20080812020457.7358bcef.john@johncoppens.com>
Hello people.

I've been having problems using transparent PNGs as image_maps in Povray.
Some colors just wouldn't get transparent, even following the doc
instructions to the letter (I hope).

I did find some strange issues, which I didn't see addressed anywhere.
Could someone point to where to find an explanation?

This is what I detected:

1) I saved an image - with transparency - to an indexed PNG with
(according to the GIMP) 8 colors in the palette. GIMP does show 8 colors
in the table.

2) Analyzing the PNG, I actually find 9 values in the palette table, where
the first value is designated as the transparent one, and as background
color.

I just guessed I had to define another index in the map, and that worked!

Is there some more in-depth description somewhere?

Thanks
John