POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Transparency issue - random blocky artifacts : Re: Transparency issue - random blocky artifacts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency issue - random blocky artifacts
From: John Coppens
Date: 7 Jun 2008 11:58:27
Message: <20080607125825.929f1e37.john@johncoppens.com>
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:25:25 EST
"ajm" <ajm### [at] aaogovau> wrote:

> ......if it helps, the (45MB) movie where the problem jumps up at me is
> at ftp://ftp.aao.gov.au/pub/local/ajm/random/pilot_movie.mpg, the
> problem showing up rather horribly at about 1 minute when I try to fade
> the dome to transparency. A single representative frame is
> ftp://ftp.aao.gov.au/pub/local/ajm/random/pilot_movie1527.png
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew.

Hi Andrew.

I'm not sure this is the same effect, but this appears with the normal
(not multi-threading) version of POVray:

http://jcoppens.com/ant/compare/img/009_z.png (random block at right)
http://jcoppens.com/ant/compare/img/009_y.png (blocks at center and
bottom)
http://jcoppens.com/ant/compare/img/009_x.png (many blocks)

All the artifacts disappear when going to non-transparency, so it is not
the input dataset (which is generated in nec, an antenna sim program).

John