POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : placing things on mesh object ... : Re: placing things on mesh object ... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:10:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: placing things on mesh object ...
From: Daniel Hulme
Date: 20 Sep 2005 06:02:25
Message: <20050920110225.77127512@dh286.pem.cam.ac.uk>
> I included image shows the first test render of a snuggle pet
> (Kuscheltier???) and  1.7 million small cylinders on top of it.
> Where you can see the underlying mesh, you are looking directly on top
> of these small cylinders.
Yes, it would look nicer if the underlying mesh were the same colour as
the fur, or if it were only a slightly different colour.

I'd also recommend varying the length of your hair-strands randomly
within two ranges. Real furry animals (and good-quality fake fur) have a
brush-like coat of short strands, and a much less dense coat of longer
'guard' strands. Reproducing this effect is quite important for realism.

> By the way, ..., memory consumtpion was 1,4 G for this render
Well, I won't be rendering it before I upgrade my box to have more
memory.  I was going to offer a useful tip to use less memory by
dynamically creating the cylinders where you are looking, but I can't
think of how you'd do it without patching POV-Ray.

--
There was a young man from Japan,    . o O ( http://surreal.istic.org/ )
Who wrote verse that just wouldn't scan;   ( It's like a DEATH CIRCUS! )